Position Title: (1) Part-Time Turf Technician
Pay Grade: $20.51/hour (2022 wage) (max 29 hours/week)
CLASSIFICATION FEATURES: The work in this class is manual labor of more than ordinary difficulty that often involves the use of acquired skill and calls for the use of some skills acquired by experience or on-the-job training. An employee in this classification usually works under the supervision of a foreman or superintendent who issues oral work orders and inspects work frequently. An employee in this classification may be assisted by unskilled laborers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists Parks Superintendent in preparing and performing annual turf maintenance needs
- Turf maintenance functions such as seeding, sodding, fertilizing, aerating, spraying, soil preparation, and irrigation.
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled construction and maintenance tasks.
- Assists Department personnel as needed.
- Prepares and maintains City facilities including mowing, athletic field preparation, turf grass maintenance, litter and trash pick-up, hiking trail maintenance, fence repair and dragging and lining ball fields.
- Acts as assistant to mechanics, carpenters, sign painters, and other tradesmen when special skills are not required.
- Operates chain saws, jackhammers, cut-off saws, pick-up trucks and other equipment and vehicles as assigned.
- Assists in snow removal.
- Sharpens saws, axes, sickles and other tools.
- Prepares soil and plants and cultivates flowers, grass and shrubs.
- Collects waste from City park locations and from the back of packer truck.
- May install City playground equipment and perform minor maintenance to equipment and facilities.
- Paints City equipment and property as assigned.
- Work may include digging footers, building concrete forms, pouring and finishing concrete, patching storm pipe from the inside, laying asphalt, hauling debris and removing snow.
- Assists in daily maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
- Reports illegal and inappropriate behavior to Supervisors.
- Cleans and repairs vandalized City property.
- Maintains regular and consistent attendance.
- Able to perform the physical demands including but not limited to having the strength and agility sufficient to lift and maneuver heavy objects and the ability to climb into and operate large equipment and trucks. Along with bending, stooping, squatting, climbing of scaffolding and ladders, twisting, reaching, and working on irregular surfaces and in the open on moving vehicles throughout the work day.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Some experience in performing semi-skilled maintenance or construction tasks. High school diploma or GED preferred, or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- At least (3) years of turf maintenance preferred
- CPR First Aid certification
- Valid driver’s license issued by the State of Ohio and must remain insurable under the City of Medina’s vehicle insurance plan.
- Valid commercial applicator license (Core) from Ohio Department of Agriculture. Additional certifications of Turf (8) and Ornamentals and Weeds (6c) preferred, or the ability to obtain additional certifications within 6 months.
- Semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks;
- Application of dry and liquid fertilizers and pesticides;
- Ability to properly calibrate and maintain application equipment as required;
- Understand the occupational hazards and regulations associated with turf maintenance;
- Traffic and safety regulations; and
- Accident prevention practices.
- Communicate effectively in writing or orally with co-workers, supervisors and the general public in person or over a telephone or radio;
- Create reports and record keeping as required by the Ohio Department of Agriculture;
- Identify disease, insects, weeds, soil conditions and different methods for treatment;
- Operate equipment and machinery by both night and day;
- Lift at least 60 pounds on a regular basis;
- Pass a pre-employment drug test, physical examination, background check and Department of Motor Vehicle report;
- Observe unsafe conditions of roadways; and
- Understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
This position requires that the employee stand or walk most of a scheduled shift with bending, stooping, squatting, climbing of scaffolding and ladders, twisting, reaching, and working on irregular surfaces and in the open on moving vehicles. It also involves working outside in all types of weather situations and occupational exposure to interaction with citizens.
May be required to work outside normal business hours including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Operates chain saws, jackhammers, riding and push mowers, pick-up trucks, tractor mounted, walk behind, and backpack turf application equipment, and other equipment and vehicles as assigned.