Find It Now
Learn to Swim Program
COVID-19 NOTE: Social distancing will take place during all swim lessons. classes will have a maxiumum of either 3 or 4 in each class and no more than 3 classes will be taking place at the same time. Also, not all classes/levels will be offered in each session. Swim Lesson Instructors will wear face shields during class
Session 1 is Full! Next Schedule of Classes Coming Soon!
MCRC LEARN TO SWIM CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
The following class descriptions cover all the classes offered. Please note, as the levels progress, it is not unusual to repeat a level several times. Remember that each child is unique and is evaluated on their swimming ability not age or what grade level. If you have any questions, please contact the Aquatics Department. Registration takes place at Medina Community Recreation Center and online at MCRC website.
Swim lessons are available for 12 months old through adults. Our Learn-to-Swim Program teaches skills in a logical progression, allowing participants to larn and practice in a safe environment. Please use the following descriptions to help determine appropriate class placements.
- Toddler (Ages 12-35 Months) This class will establish children’s acclimation to the water by participating in games & songs while working towards a skill. Skills worked on: Entering & exiting the water, bubble blowing, submerging mouth, nose, eyes. Floats, glides, kicks and arm movements. Parents must be in the water with the child. Class taught in 3.5 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Preschool 1 - (Previously Green Fish) (ages 3-4) This beginning preschool class will orient children to the aquatic environment & establish basic aquatic skills. This class is for children who cannot float on their front or back. Class taught in 2-3 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Preschool 2 - (Previously Blue Fish) (ages 3-4) Children entering this class must be able to float on their front & back for 5 seconds unassisted and recover from their floats to a vertical position. Class taught in 2-3 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Preschool 3 - (Previously Gold Fish) (ages 3-4) Children entering this class must be able to float on their front & back for 10 seconds unassisted, Demonstrate independently forward and backward progression for 5 yds. and tread water for 15 seconds. Class taught in 2-4 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Level 1 - (Previously Turtles) (ages 5 & up) This “beginner” school aged class will establish basic levels of aquatic skills. This class is for children who cannot float on their front or back. Class taught in 2-3 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Level 2 - (Previously Seals 1) (ages 5 & up) Children entering this class must be able to: Float on their front & back unassisted for 10 seconds and recover from their floats to a vertical position. Demonstrate independently forward and backward progression for 10 yards. Must be comfortable with their face in the water and submerging. Class is taught in 3-4 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Level 3 – (Previously Seals 2) (ages 5 & up) Children entering this class must be able to demonstrate independently float on their front & back unassisted for 10 seconds, Swim Front Crawl and Back Crawl for 25 feet and tread water for 1 minute unassisted. Class is taught in 3 1/2-5 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Level 4 - (Previously Otters 3) (ages 5 & up) Children entering this class must be able to tread water for 1 minute. Swim for 25 feet performimg Front Crawl, Back Crawl and Breaststroke kick for 25 feet. Demonstrate Dolphin Kick in streamline position for 25 feet on front and back. Class is taught in 5 feet of water in Leisure Pool.
- Level 5 - (Previously Otters 4) (ages 5 & up) Children entering this class must be able to demonstrate all parts of the following strokes & the required distances: Front and Back Crawl for 25 yards, elementary back stroke 10 yards, Demonstrate and have concept of Breaststroke and Sidestroke. Tread water for 2 minutes with 2 different kicks, Class is taught in 4-12.5 Feet of water in the Competition Pool. Will introduce diving at this level.
- Level 6 - (Previously Level 5) (ages 5 & up) Children entering this class must be able to demonstrate all the parts of the following strokes & the required distance of 25 yards: Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Elementary Backstroke and Sidestroke. Demonstrate Butterfly and flip turns. Ablilty to dive in 9 feet of water and Tread Water for 5 minutes. Class is taught in 4-12.5 Feet of water in the Competition Pool.
- Level 7 - (Previously Level 6) (ages 5 & up) Children entering this class must be able to demonstrate all parts of the following strokes & the required distances: Front Crawl & Back Crawl for 50 yards, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly 25 yards & be able to do Flip Turns. Class is taught in 4-12.5 Feet of water in the Competition Pool.
LEARN TO SWIM REGISTRATION AND POLICIES
LEARN TO SWIM RULES
Welcome Parents & Participants! Communication is essential for a successful program. The Medina Community Recreation Center has adopted an “open door policy” Please contact Steve @ 330-721-6942 or Julie or Meghan @ 330-721-6943 if you have any questions or concerns. We have lifeguards on duty at all times for your child’s safety.
In order for all our classes to run smoothly and efficiently, we ask your cooperation in the following:
- All classes are 30 minutes in length. Please be here 5 minutes before the class starts. Instructors will meet all participants in a designated area in the Leisure Pool Area and will take them to their lanes. After class is over, the instructors will bring them back to their designated area for parent or guardian to get them.
- All Spectators and Participants MUST have a mask on when entering the pool area. Spectators are required to keep their mask on the whole time while on deck. Participants will have their masks on until they arrive at their lanes. At the time they will put their masks in a plastic bag or container. Toddler class participants can take their mask off before they enter the water. Please do not wear a mask in pool.
- All Swim instructors will be wearing a face shield at all times.
- Anyone exhibiting cold or flu symptoms are asked to stay home. Please take your temperature before you arrive and if over 100F, please stay home.
- Due to Covid-19 protocols and Pool Deck Limits, only 1 spectator per child in class will be permitted to be on the deck during all Learn to Swim Classes. (Except Infant & Toddler classes; one in water with child and one on deck). No additional spectators will be permitted on deck.
- If you choose to not remain on the deck, make sure you return 5 minutes before the class ends.
- Class time is regulated by the pace clocks in both pools. Note: The clocks in the Rec Center are not in sync.
- Please dress your swimmer(s) in the locker room, not in the pool area. Out of respect for all members and guests, all children requiring the assistance of a parent or adult of the opposite gender should use the Family Changing Rooms. If all possible, please come dressed and ready to swim
- Family Changing Rooms are available. Showers are available in both family changing room and locker rooms. There is limited locker space is also available in the Main Locker Rooms
- Once class is over and the instructor has taken the participants out to the water, please do not reenter the water to swim. With Covid-19 limitations, we can only have a limited amount people that can be in either pool area. Member must check in at front desk and non-members MUST purchase a daily pass to swim. Have your membership badge or daily pass receipt with you on deck. If we are going over capacity, anyone not involved in our Learn to Swim Program will not be permitted on deck.
- Long hair should remain tied back to ensure proper instruction.
- All participants must wear bathing suits. Swim diapers are required for non-toilet trained children.
- There are no makeups or refunds for missed classes.
- Goggles are permitted in all classes except Toddler.
- On the last day of class, your child will be given a report card of your child’s achievements and notification if the child moves to the next level or remains at the same level. There are no “Hold Spots” for the next session. Contact Front Desk for the dates of mass registration of the next session.