Position Title: Part-Time Laborer (Cemetery Division/Parks Department)
Pay Grade: Union $18.66/ hour - max. 29 hours weekly
CLASSIFICATION FEATURES: The work in this class is manual labor of more than ordinary difficulty that often involves the use of acquired skill and calls for the use of some skills acquired by experience or on-the-job training. An employee in this classification usually works under the supervision of a foreman or superintendent who issues oral work orders and inspects work frequently. An employee in this classification may be assisted by unskilled laborers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled construction, maintenance tasks, landscaping, tree maintenance, and lawn care.
- Assists Motor Equipment Operators in the maintenance and repair of City equipment and property.
- Assists in repair of park property including, but not limited to: pavilions, fences, sports fields, parking lots, splash pads, vandalism, and playground structures.
- Assists in street or sidewalk repair and resurfacing.
- Assists Department personnel as needed.
- Prepares and maintains City facilities including mowing, athletic field preparation, turf grass maintenance, litter and trash pick-up, hiking trail maintenance, fence repair and dragging and lining ball fields.
- Acts as assistant to mechanics, carpenters, sign painters, and other tradesmen when special skills are not required.
- Operates chain saws, wood chippers, jackhammers, cut-off saws, pick-up trucks, backhoes, and other equipment and vehicles as assigned.
- Assists in snow removal, including in parks, municipal parking lots, driveways, and streets as directed.
- Sharpens chain saws, axes, sickles and other tools.
- Prepares soil and plants and cultivates flowers, grass and shrubs.
- Collects waste from City park locations and from the back of packer truck.
- May install City playground equipment and perform minor maintenance to equipment and facilities.
- Paints City equipment and property as assigned.
- Work may include digging footers, building concrete forms, pouring and finishing concrete, patching storm pipe from the inside, laying asphalt, hauling debris, removing or pruning trees, and removing snow.
- Assists in daily maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
- Reports illegal and inappropriate behavior to Supervisors.
- Cleans and repairs vandalized City property.
- Able to perform the physical duties that include but are not limited to having the strength and agility sufficient to lift and maneuver heavy objects and the ability to climb into and operate large equipment and trucks, along with ability to bend, stoop, squat, climbing on scaffolding and ladders, twist, reach, and work on irregular surfaces and in the open on moving vehicles.
- Maintains regular and consistent attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Some experience in performing semi-skilled maintenance or construction tasks.
- At least two years of experience in tree maintenance, landscaping, or lawn care preferred if working in the Parks department.
- High school diploma or GED preferred, or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Ohio and must remain insurable under the City of Medina’s vehicle insurance plan.
Knowledge of: Semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks; Traffic and safety regulations; and Accident prevention practices.
Ability to: Communicate effectively in writing or orally with co-workers, supervisors and the general public in person or over a telephone or radio; Operate equipment and machinery by both night and day; Operate City radios in a professional manner; Lift at least 60 pounds on a regular basis; Pass a pre-employment drug test, physical examination, background check and Department of Motor Vehicle report; Observe unsafe conditions of roadways; and Understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
This position requires that the employee stand or walk most of a scheduled shift with bending, stooping, squatting, climbing of scaffolding and ladders, twisting, reaching, and working on irregular surfaces and in the open on moving vehicles. It also involves working outside in all types of weather situations and occupational exposure to interaction with citizens.
May be required to work outside normal business hours including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Operates chain saws, jackhammers, wood chippers, riding and push mowers, pick-up trucks, backhoes, and other equipment and vehicles as assigned.